Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

gramps




I've spent my free moments this summer working on a couple sweaters for my boy. This one--Gramps--makes me especially happy. That shawl collar will keep his little neck warm at fall festivals, and some soon-to-be-added pockets will be the perfect place to stash small treasures (acorns and rocks are particular favorites).

Shortly after I took this picture I discovered I'd picked up the short row wraps wrong, so that they showed on the right side. I struggled for nearly an entire nap time to figure out how to fix it (grr...that is precious time!) before throwing it aside in a huff. This is supposed to be my easy, relaxing project. After a few hours to cool down I did a quick search online and remedied the problem in a matter of minutes with the help of this Purl Bee tutorial on short rows. Now I just have to finish the button band and make those pockets.

* * * 
As for reading, I just finished J.K. Rowling's newest Cormoran Strike detective novel, The Silkworm. It was a fast, compelling read that made me want to figure out the mystery and drink copious amounts of tea. It's set in London and so many scenes include tea. 

A couple nights ago I cracked open Haruki Murakami's latest novel, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. I'm not far into it yet, but I already want to book a ticket to Tokyo. Oh, I miss Japan!

 * * * 
I'm joining in with Ginny's Yarn Along today. Are you? I'd love to hear what you've been making and reading.

12 comments:

  1. Adorable cardigan. I love "old man" cardigans on little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfection- what a lovely cardi for your wee one, there is something nostalgic yet sweet about this pattern.
    Ps I love your blog- will stop by again:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sweater is super cute. and JK Rowling has more than one non-HP novel?? wow i had no idea. gonna have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This collar is amazing! My daughter hates hoodies but such a collar would work... Thank you for putting this idea into my head :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little Gramps is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love that cardigan! Been admiring the pattern for awhile and need to make it for my son once I finish the one I'm just starting up. And I can relate- I know how precious those nap times are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so very cute! and lovely! and the grey is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is just a seriously adorable sweater! Glad you were able to fix your problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this pattern!! I haven't tried it yet, but definitely want to in the future! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how you did cursive with the yarn. This is a terrific Gramps for your son. Adore it. I haven't read any of the adult Rowling books, noir that Japanese author who I know is popular too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sweater is great! It is going to look so adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sweater is adorable and I love the color!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin